A weekend in South Beach was pretty lovely after a long winter and though I barely kept up with those guys on the dance floor (and I like to think I have stamina on the dance floor!), we squeezed in some quality beach time, perfect tacos & frozen margaritas, a drag brunch featuring some fierce audience participation from the groom-to-be, and a wander around the bright Wynwood Walls. I’m pretty sure I flew home part-woman/part-sunscreen and I enjoyed Miami a lot more than I thought I was going to – plus Thomas had a blast, and that’s what we were going for.
I rolled up to the Montreal airport w/matching Celine Dion tees for Thomas and I (the power of love and all), and cookies (of course). I didn’t feel like I could head into such a weekend without a celebratory snack.
Lime Zest Sugar Cookies
yields about 30 cookies (depending on your cookie cutter shape)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus a little more for dusting)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp ( 3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- finely grated zest of two limes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Combine lime zest with sugar and let sit for at least five minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with the sugar and lime zest until fluffy. Add in vanilla extract and egg.
- Reduce the speed on the stand mixer and add in the dry ingredients in three batches, mix until just combined.
- Divide dough into two disks and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust your workspace with flour and roll the dough out until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shape(s) and place on prepared baking trays. Bake for about 5-6 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cookies cool completely before icing with whatever whimsical colours and sprinkles make your heart happy! (I went with a tried and true Martha Stewart royal icing recipe.) Enjoy!